Subject: Three years after the fact
Location: near Enid, OK
February 25, 2013 5:55 am
This lovely spider sat in our driveway and patiently allowed me to take as many pictures as I wished without so much as twitching. I am guessing it must be a type of wolf spider- it was quite large- but would love to know more.
Thank you!
Signature: Ceci

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Hi Ceci,
We agree that this impressive spider is a Wolf Spider, and we believe it might be one of the Burrowing Wolf Spiders in the genus
Geolycosa based on photos posted to BugGuide.  Perhaps one of our readers will write in with a comment confirming or refuting our identification.

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Your photos are quite beautiful.

Thank you- of all the days to get a lucky shot I am glad it was this one.  I will now be watching all the little holes near our house with more interest this year; maybe I will get to see one in residence.  Thanks for the help!
Ceci

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Location: Enid, Oklahoma

3 Responses to Burrowing Wolf Spider, we believe

1. That’s definitely a burrowing wolf spider…I have their tunnels all over my yard.

2. Jim Cross says:

Send this and other nature questions to: What’s Nature Doing Now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/525382230822404/ Larry Clarfeld from the North Branch Nature Center will tell you all about it. You can also call in to WGDR– 91.1 or 91.7–on Wed. AM about 7:00, and ask him live on the air. 802 454 7762

3. Rose Blake says:

I found one of those on my front door ! Scared the mess outta me ! My husband got a close up pic of it and I wouldn’t go anywhere near the huge evil looking thing * shivers violently * i see the other kind of wolf spiders all the time and I can kill those things with no problems but this kind of spider ?? !! Forget it !