Subject: Mosquito like bug?
Location: Pasadena California
February 21, 2013 1:47 am
Hello bugman! I found this strange looking insect today while on my patio. At first I thought Mosquito, but it has a strange shape, i.e. its wings. I figure I send this your way & see if you can help out.
Season: winter (February)
Found on patio wall
Signature: Jeeb

Plume Moth

Hi Jeeb,
This is a Plume Moth in the family Pterophoridae.  According to BugGuide, it is “A distinctive family of moths, but difficult to identify to genus or species.”

6 Responses to Plume Moth

1. Summer says:

We have recently found several of what appears to be plume moths, but they do bite and suck blood very similar to mosquitos. I know because I killed one in the act. You responded to an earlier post that they are not blood sucking (Satan bugs), but we are having a very similar experience and they do bite… Unlike any moth I’ve ever encountered. Is there a blood sucking mosquito that has a similar T shape when resting? We are in the hills between Hollywood & Studio City off Mulholland. I have a couple pictures if you would like them.

Plume Moths are not capable of biting and they surely do NOT suck blood. You may submit your images using the Ask What’s That Bug? link on our site. Please use “Blood Sucking Plume Moth” as the subject line to get our attention.

• Summer says:

Yes, I understood that Plume Moths do not bite, my question was is there a similar looking insect that does bite and suck blood. Considering that every person that has posted an image is saying in their comment- this is biting or stinging me…

2. Heather says:

Maybe they just have sharp little feet, and when they’re gripping your skin it prickles and it’s mistaken for a bite.

3. elaine says:

Ah yes, the one I had land on my nose had extremely sharp little feet. Didn’t want to let go either.

4. Robert Keith says:

You’re not alone or crazy. The little bastards bite and leave an itchy welt just like mosquitos. If it’s not a plume moth, crane fly or mosquito then what else can it be?