Subject: Help w/ ID-ing Tiny bugs found in moldy bathroom
Location: NY
February 12, 2013 9:21 pm
I have a whole bunch of these bugs in my moldy bathroom. There are no windows, no exhaust, no fans in my bathroom so I’m pretty sure thats why the mold is forming. OK, so back to the bugs, they are brownish, very tiny and some are even teeny tiny, which I think might be the babies. They look like they have wings but I see them crawling most of the time, only rarely do I see them fly or if I sprayed bathroom odor spray on them they’d fly. They look like they have 6 legs and 2 long antennas and the back 1/2 of the body has stripes. I see them on the walls only and there’s one corner where they’re packed and lined up. It just looks so disgusting to be using the bathroom with all these bugs on the walls.
I would really like to ID these bugs and then find the best way to clear them away.
Signature: Sheri

Barklouse

Hi Sheri,
This is a member of the insect order Psocodea, and it is either a Booklouse or a Barklouse.  They do not bite humans.  Booklice which are often found indoors are generally not winged and Barklice are generally found outdoors, so this is a bit of a mystery to us.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide additional information.  You can also get information on BugGuide.

Eric Eaton provides some clarity
It is a barklouse, but I have no idea what family, let alone genus or species.  I suppose they could hibernate….I really know very little about them other than how to recognize them.

Location: New York

2 Responses to Barklouse, not Winged Booklouse found indoors

1. Chun Xing says:

The booklice in my house have wings too but they still choose to hop rather than fly.

2. Aylok says:

Yes I too have winged booklice that I have never seen fly, they look more like bark lice but apparently indoors means booklice.
    They are harmless, just seal all food and throw away anything left open, especially flour and rice.
    An outbreak will probably originate from open rice or flour and occur in warm humid weather.
    Close inspection with a torch will soon locate at least one or two in most pantries and is a good way to find the source.
    Empty cupboards outside and wipe down and wash everything before replacing.
    Camphor and bay leaves are meant to repel.