Subject: Fuzzy cocoon? … fuzzy thing attatched to column in ft Myers beach fl
Location: ft Myers beach Florida
…. I also would like it if you could identify this cocoon, there were tons all over colums where I am staying, through the ”fur” I could see some shiny brown, this particular one was about an inch (maybe a little smaller since my sense of measurement lacks). Thank you!
Signature: Moth Ninja

Oleander Moth Cocoon

Hi again Moth Ninja,
Are there oleander plants where you are staying?  They are quite common in Florida.  We believe this is the cocoon of an Oleander Moth or Polka Dot Wasp Moth,
Syntomeida epilais, and you can compare your photo to this image on BugGuide.

Dear Bugman, thank you for the quick response! I’m not too sure if there are any oleander plants around, but I’m sure your identification is correct seeing as I’ve seen that moth around! I wish I could stay to watch the cocoon hatch but I leave Florida tomorrow. I’m a huge fan of your site and have been for years. It’s helped me to realize house centipedes are actually beneficial in my house! And I am no longer afraid of a lot of little friends! Thank you again for the identification, I will keep my eyes peeled for anymore interesting buggies!

We are so happy to hear you are tolerant of House Centipedes.

Location: Florida