Subject: Is this a Hawaiian Huntsman?
Location: Kailua, HI
My wife and I live in Hawaii on the Island of Oahu. We returned home one winter evening to find the pictured spider climbing all over an artificial landscape rock wall that is partially covered by vines. I searched around the net and arrived at your wonderful site. It appears that this is a Huntsman spider, but I’m a little unclear if it is also known as the Cane Spider? Are the distinctive dots on the back of its abdomen telling of it’s exact species? I think I’m thankful to have him around if he likes to eat cockroaches! Thank you!
Signature: Kevin in Kailua

Huntsman Spider

Hi Kevin,
Cane Spider is a common name associated with one particular species of Huntsman Spider,
Heteropoda venatoria, according to the Hawaiian Creatures website.  We cannot say for certain that this is a Cane Spider, but we believe that it is most likely one.  Like many species currently living and thriving on Hawaii, Heteropoda venatoria is an introduced species.  While preparing this response, we stumbled upon a lovely image on FlickR of a Floridian Huntsman eating a Cockroach. 

Whatsthatbug/Daniel,
Thank you so much for the response. I really like the Flickr link to the huntsman eating the cockroach. I see the remarkably similar appearance. I can now welcome this big buy to my property to do his good work.  Your site is a very helpful resource.
Mahalo/thank you!
Kevin

Location: Hawaii

2 Responses to Huntsman Spider in Hawaii

1. Roger Lewis says:

Is the huntsman spider poisonous?
    I see them all over at Hoomaluhia botanical garden here on Oahu and even at inspire church at Waikele Center in Waikele, Waipahu Hawaii.

2. Almost all spiders have venom that they use to kill prey. These have venom, but it is not medically significant to humans. A reaction to a bite should be localized and not something to worry about. Spiders mostly bite people in self-defense. This occurs when they are trapped against our skin and the pressure pains them. One may also act aggressive if you handle her egg sac or hatchlings. Like most wild animals they will avoid us if they can and will bite in fear. So, don’t grab the spiders and be aware that spiders under clothes may bite and that’s it.