Subject: insect with metal collar and straw jacket
Location: Malaysia highlands
January 29, 2013 8:25 am
I bet you thought I was kidding around with the subject. My knees wobbled when I realised what I had captured. He was on night lamp so possibly nocturnal. he was tiny (about 1-2mm) so I didn’t realise what I had photographed until I looked in the camera display after the shot. I figured you’d either know exactly what it is because of its unusual look or at the very least you’d get as much of a kick out of it as I did. Thanks.
Signature: David

Unknown Fly

Hi David,
We don’t think we are able to do much more than provide an order and a sex.  We believe this is a member of the insect order Diptera, so you could call it a Fly.  Because of its antennae, we strongly suspect it is a male.

Location: Malaysia

7 Responses to Unknown Fly from Malaysia

1. Lanzz says:

Thanks for answered my question. I agree with you, it look like a weird Crane Fly.

2. Lanzz says:

Hi, this is not a dead Stick Insect being eaten by a Planarium.

It have six leg , and it can fly. The size of this insect is approximately 10 mm long. I found many of these on the wall of my house.

• Lanzz says:

This insect is not missing any legs. It legs is in a weird position.
      – Two legs in front (straight position).
      – Two legs in the middle near the head (in the bent position)
      – Two legs behind (straight position).

3. davegball@gmail.com says:

I’ve identified this fly as a Biting Midge (Ceratopogonidae).

The attached link should confirm the ID.

The photographer, Piotr Naskrecki, frequently helps us to identify Katydids. We will write to him and inquire if your identification is correct.

4. davegball@gmail.com says:

I’ve identified this fly as a Biting Midge (Ceratopogonidae).

The attached link should confirm the ID.