Subject: insect with metal collar and straw jacket
Location: Malaysia highlands
January 29, 2013 8:25 am
I bet you thought I was kidding around with the subject. My knees wobbled when I realised what I had captured. He was on night lamp so possibly nocturnal. he was tiny (about 1-2mm) so I didn’t realise what I had photographed until I looked in the camera display after the shot. I figured you’d either know exactly what it is because of its unusual look or at the very least you’d get as much of a kick out of it as I did. Thanks.
Signature: David

Unknown Fly

Hi David,
We don’t think we are able to do much more than provide an order and a sex.  We believe this is a member of the insect order Diptera, so you could call it a Fly.  Because of its antennae, we strongly suspect it is a male.

Location: Malaysia

2 Responses to Unknown Fly from Malaysia

1. davegball@gmail.com says:

I’ve identified this fly as a Biting Midge (Ceratopogonidae).

The attached link should confirm the ID.

http://140.247.119.225/insectphotography/gallery_eating/data/images1/crw_0208.jpg

The photographer, Piotr Naskrecki, frequently helps us to identify Katydids. We will write to him and inquire if your identification is correct.