Subject: Is it a Timema?
Location: Manhattan Beach, ca
I am referred to this site by Theodore Payne Foundation. I found this bug on my garage, steps away from Ceanothus and Manzanita bushes that have been growing in my front yard for 12 years. The bug is 4 1/2” long. I googled and found that perhaps it is a Timema (they do like Ceanothus). I have never seen anything like it before. I thought perhaps it was a walking stick but its body looked more like a non-slimey slug; not rigid like a stick. In the second picture I was trying to get its legs, which appeared to be long & strait and I think there were 2 in both front and back. Thanks for anything you might be able to do.
Signature: Monla

Walkingstick

Hi Monla,
How nice to hear of the Theodore Payne Foundation recommendation.  This appears to be one of the Stick Insects in the order Phasmida, but there are not enough characteristics visible for us to speculate on a more specific identification due to its tightly retracted position.  It might be in the genus
Pseudosermyle, which is pictured on BugGuide.  It is not a Timema.

Oh wow, thank you so much and I might add what a quick response!