Subject: A new invasive insect on top of the stink bugs we already have…
Location: 20735-1870 [Ed. Note:  Maryland]
January 23, 2013 9:34 am
Hello!
This past month as the temperatures are dipping below freezing here in Southern Maryland, I noticed that we have gotten another insect that is invading my home on top of the stink bugs that we already have. I want to say its a moth, but I can’t be for certain. They fly pretty slowly and aren’t hard to catch with a sweater either! They hang out on the walls and notice them in my room often, which faces east. Can you identify it and tell me if I need to stock up on my mothballs? Thanks!
Signature: Bonnie

Indian Meal Moth

Hi Bonnie,
This is an Indian Meal Moth,
Plodia interpunctella, a common household pest.  Adults are just an annoyance and they will not harm your clothes.  The caterpillars feed on stored grain products.  We would urge you to clean out the pantry.  Pay special attention to an old box of cornmeal or pancake mix that is in the back of the cupboard.  Fumigation won’t do much good since you need to get at the food source to eliminate the problem.

Thanks!!! What a fast reply too! I’ve cleaned the cabinets of these old boxes of cereal, so that should help!
Best Regards,
Bonnie

Location: Maryland