Subject: Strange Bug in my veranda
Location: India
January 17, 2013 7:05 am
I found this strange bug between my flower pots in the eve ! Dunno wat its called but am curious !u
Signature: Creepyluv

Unknown Moth

Dear Creepyluv,
This is a Moth, but we are uncertain of the family.  Though it superficially resembles a Sphinx Moth or Hawkmoth in the family Sphingidae, the antennae are too hairlike for that to be the correct family.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to write in with a correct identification.

Karl provides an identification: Carpenter Moth
Hi Daniel and Creepyluv:
It is a Carpenter Moth (Cossidae) in the subfamily Zeuzerinae and genus Xyleutes, probably X. persona. The species can be found throughout much of south and southeast Asia, from India to Papua New Guinea and possibly Australia. The larvae are wood borers but the species does not appear to be a significant threat to forestry or agriculture. Regards.  Karl

Thanks so much for your assistance Karl.  While unsuccessfully searching for an identity, we tried locating images of Wood Moths from India with no luck.

Location: India

2 Responses to Unknown Moth from India is Carpenter Moth

1. Cesar Crash says:

I think it’s most like a tiger morth.