Subject: unknown bug
Location: india
January 13, 2013 1:41 am
which bug is this and what does it eat?
Signature: Jagdeep Singh

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Hi Jagdeep,
This is a Stink Bug and it looks similar to the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (see BugGuide), , a species that has gained notoriety and much publicity in North America since it is an invasive species introduced from Asia that has no significant predators to keep its population in check.  It is multiplying rapidly and spreading its range in North America.  The species is also significant as the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug enters homes to hibernate during cold weather.  We are uncertain if it is native to India as BugGuide lists the range as:  “Native to E. Asia.”

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Location: India

4 Responses to Possibly Brown Marmorated Stink Bug from India

1. This looks like being Pentatomidae, Pentatominae, Erthesina fullo, Yellow-spotted Stink Bug.
    http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/392696027.

2. Roshni says:

Whether native or not, this bug was spotted again in Mumbai in a cab.

3. Samir says:

Growing up in Jharkhand India in the 1970s we saw these all the time around the house. The Brown Marmorated version is what they looked like. I read they came to the USA around 1998, well they were in India long before that. They werent in numbers high enough to be called a pest though. I wonder if the different varietes of stink bugs have different stinks? Has there been a Stink-o-Analysis done? 🙂

Our editors do not have noses sensitive enough to distinguish differences in the smells of different species of Stink Bugs, and we would also propose that the diet of the individual might cause variations in the smells within a species as well.