Subject: Sci-fi moth
Location: Glenwood, Durban [Ed. Note:  South Africa]
Hi, I found this moth a few years ago at my home in Glenwood, Durban. Never been able to find it in a book on bugs. Any idea?
Signature: Ash

Coffee Bean Hawkmoth

Dear Ash,
This stunning creature is a Coffee Bean Hawkmoth or Oriental Bee Hawkmoth,
Cephanodes hylas, according to the BioDiversity Explorer website which states:  “This is one of the three main species of hawkmoth that are active in the daytime, the other two species being Macroglossum trochilus and Leucostrophus hirundo” though it is unclear which location that statement is made regarding since the Coffee Bean Hawkmoth ranges in “Africa south of the Sahara, Asia and Australia.”

Wow Daniel,
thanks for the prompt reply!  I thought it might be a Clearwing Moth – they seem so similar. But I’ve just found the exact same one as mine under Hawkmoth!
I see my image can be found on google now. Would you mind terribly putting this one up instead? It has my copyright on it.  I’ll change the name on my site.
Many thanks again!
Ashling

We have replaced the image.

Location: Africa

4 Responses to Coffee Bean Hawkmoth from South Africa

1. rjpretor says:

Correct ID!

2. Nan Lepinath says:

My son discovered one on our property two days ago in Southern Queensland, feeding on the orange blossoms and flew off in a northerly direction.
    No others seen, I have lived there for 10 years and never saw anything like it.
    I am an avid wildlife observer and Artist and am always on the lookout for the unusual.

3. Alassea says:

The moth you have in the picture is similar to the moth from Australia, the Cephonodes kingii (Gardenia Bee Hawk) from Queensland, New South Wales, Northern Territory and northern Western Australia. They are almost identical to that Coffee Bean Hawk Moth but are found throughout northern and eastern Australia.

Can be found here: http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/sphi/kingii.html