Subject: Home invasion in Austria
Location: Vienna, Austria
Hi Bugman,
I came home from my winter vacation and found lots of those little black guys everywhere in my flat. They are about 3 to 4 millimeters long. Can you held me to identify their species?
Signature: Cheers, Hannes

Pantry Weevil is Caulophilus oryzae

Hi Hannes,
By your letter, it would seem to us that you have some species of beetle that infests stored foods and we would encourage you to carefully inspect the pantry for all stored grain products to see if you can determine the source of the infestation.  Don’t forget large bags of pet food including bird seed.  We do not recognize this particular species which appears to be a Weevil or Snout Beetle, but they are not the typical Grain or Rice Weevilswe encounter.  There are many small beetles that infest stored foods.  We will try to contact Eric Eaton to see if he can provide any additional information.

Pantry Weevils:  Caulophilus oryzae

On Jan 8, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Eric Eaton wrote:
Hi, Daniel:
Well, I don’t recognize them, either, so I’ll copy this to Charlie O’Brien, and see if he does.  Hopefully he is in good health….

Thanks much Eric,
Do you agree that they are weevils?
Daniel

Yes, definitely weevils.  Great images should make ID by an authority fairly easy.

Here is the answer.  I thought I recognized it to subfamily, but that didn’t make any sense since most species bore in conifer bark.

Charlie O’Brien provides an identification
Hi Eric:
Happy to hear from you at any time.. The weevil is Caulophilus oryzae (Gyllenhal) formerly placed in Rhyncolus and it is a stored grain pest in the Cossoninae. It is almost Cosmopolitan..
… Sincerely,
Charlie

Thanks a lot for identifying!
I sent you 5€ via paypal for your great service 🙂
kind regards,
Hannes

Location: Austria

6 Responses to Weevil Infestation in Austria is Caulophilus oryzae

1. Renae Maree says:

How do you get rid of these? We have found some in rabbit pellet mix/chook feed.

2. Lan Abe says:

Found a colony in dried organic pastas, oddly they did not appear in the non organic stuff…