Subject: Spiny orb-weaver
Location: Ulu Belum, Perak, Malaysia
January 4, 2013 2:24 am
Hi bugman,
what is this spesies?
Signature: Asyraf

Crablike Spiny Orbweaver

Dear Asyraf,
This is a Crablike Spiny Orbweaver in the genus
Gasteracantha, and we located one very similar looking spider on the Jungle Asia website, however it is only identified to the genus level.

Hi Daniel and Asyraf:
It is probably Gasteracantha kuhli, a Spiny Orbweaver native to southern Asia from India to Japan and including Southeast Asia. It also appears under the synonym G. kuhlii, but I believe the accepted name only has one “i”. To confuse the issue, I also found several sites that included photos from Asia of what looked to be the same spider, but that identified it as G. cancriformis. Both species are somewhat similar and both are characterized by six prominent abdominal spines, but G. cancriformis is a New World species (southern USA to South America). I suspect these are probably further incidents of online misidentifications. According to Wikipedia… “It has also been sighted in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia and Palawan, Philippines, as well as Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands.” These observations also may be based on erroneous identifications or, alternatively, G. cancriformis has been getting around. To me, G. cancriformis looks different enough that I would go with the native species, G. kuhli. Regards. Karl

Location: Malaysia

3 Responses to Crablike Spiny Orbweaver from Malaysia

1. Luc says:

This is not kuhli, but cranciforms. If you had bothered to read the French website that you posted you’d note at the bottom that a diagnosic mark for kuhli are the 4 large distal spots on right and left of abdomen (their words not mine). The picture the poster posted does not have these markings, hence we have cranciforms and NOT kuhli.

2. clen99 says:

Are they poisonous?

3. Dominik Hofer says:

To my knowledge Gasteracantha cancriformis is not found in Malaysia. I am a little bit confused about Luc’s comment, that this one is Gasteracantha cancriformis. I am pretty sure that this one Gasteracantha kuhli as suggested by Karl.