Subject: Found in baby bottle sanitizer
Location: Southern California
January 3, 2013 2:03 am
Dear Bugman, I’ve been finding these buggers in the machine that I use to sanitize my baby’s bottles. After the steaming cycle is done, I wipe down the excess water, and I leave the cover ajar for all the water to dry, I would often find one or so of these hanging out in the machine.
When the cover is fully on, I’ve never found these bugs…please help, thank you
Signature: Baby’s Safety

Springtail

This is a Springtail and it is a common insect found worldwide.  They are often found in homes if conditions are right.  They are benign and will not harm you or your child.  We are quite certain the steam kills them when the bottles are being sanitized.  Outdoors they aid decomposition and according to BugGuide:  “They may also graze on spores of molds and mildews, especially indoors where there is a lack of other food sources.”  They could be considered beneficial inside the home as they would inhibit the growth of mold and mildew.

Thank you so much Daniel, it relieves me to know that they are benign.  Have a good one!