Subject: Small bug in Canada
Location: Canada
I just spotted this bug crawling on my shirt (ugh). My shirt was just taken out of my closet. I’m located in Ontario, Canada where the temperatures are quite cold right now. Never seen a bug like this before, so am hoping you can help identify it. Sorry for the low-quality pictures…we took the bug off and it crawled onto bubble wrap.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!
Signature: An

Pseudoscorpion

Dear An,
We just finished posting another Pseudoscorpion submission and you can read about this harmless and beneficial predator in that posting.

Location: Canada

8 Responses to Pseudoscorpion from Canada

1. adam chipman says:

yep i just found one in my bathroom.There pretty freaky seeing em for the first time. apparently they like warm moisturized places. i killed it in fright but couldn’t get a picture because of my cat.he ate it 🙁

2. Lisa says:

I found one when I swept and now I have it in a container with holes I put a piece of toilet paper soaked some water on it I don’t know what to feed it or do with it. I don’t like killing things..,,., hmm please help

If you don’t have any living insects in the home, you can purchase tiny crickets in a local pet store, or possibly fruit flies. You will need small prey, or you can just release the Pseudoscorpion back into your home.

• Aaron says:

You can get springtails and feed them to it. They come in a culture and reproduce very very fast so you’ll never run out. Or find them under some bark

3. john sanderson says:

hello

I am a new beekeeper and dealing with varroa mite issues. Tonight, while counting mites on a 72 hour sticky paper test for varroa drop, I saw what I believe is a pseudoscorpion. I had read about this in a posting on a Treatment Free Beekeeping FB page not an hour before. The poster had heard that pseudoscorpions are varroa predators – but can’t verify this any where. I’m in Southern Ontario and we’re experiencing a very mild fall, my bees are still laying eggs instead of preparing for winter. Thoughts/

4. Brent says:

How do pseudoscorpions end up in cold Canada?