Subject: Please identify this insect
Location: Southeast Florida – Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge
I photographed these 2 red insects (with black wings) at the Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge in Southeast Florida (Palm Beach County).
What are they?
Signature: Robert Goldman

Mating Cotton Stainers

Dear Robert,
These are very nice photos of mating Cotton Stainers,
Dysdercus suturellus.  According to BugGuide:  “found on many plants, incl. cotton, hibiscus, oranges, etc” and  it is a “a pest of cotton; ‘Feeding on the cotton bolls stains them an indelible yellow as plant sap seeps out of the puncture wound, and microorganisms and fungus grows at the site. The feeding habit also damages the fibres by cutting them, and affects the growth of the cotton boll.'”

Mating Cotton Stainers

Hey Daniel.  Thank you for the very prompt reply to my request.  Glad you like the photos.  Interesting identification.  We don’t have much of a cotton crop here in South Florida.
If you would like to see more of my work, I invite you to connect with my Blair Photography page at
https://www.facebook.com/RobertBlairPhotography.
Thanks again,
Robert

Location: Florida