Subject: Is this a Silverfish or a Fire-brat?
Location: Georgia, United States
I am from Belfast, Northern Ireland, however, I’m currently visiting Georgia, U.S.A. I found this bug in the bathroom sink, so I asked the members of a Facebook page that I run if they could identify it for me. The consensus was split pretty much 50/50, with half sure that it is a Silverfish and the other half a Fire-brat. I just want to know for sure what it is and if it poses any danger, as I have a week old baby here.
Signature: Whatsthatbug

Silverfish

One can make the case that all Firebrats are Silverfish but not all Silverfish are Firebrats since they are classified in the same insect order, Zygentoma, with the distinction arising at the genus level.  Firebrats prefer warmer temperatures in general, and the classic Firebrat is Thermobia domestica which can be viewed on BugGuide.  We are certain that this is a Silverfish, but we cannot say with certainty that it is a Firebrat.  They are classifed together on our website on the Silverfish, Bristletails and Firebrats category.  Silverfish are considered household pests, though we cannot imagine that they pose any direct threat to your week old baby.

Location: Georgia

4 Responses to Silverfish

1. Austin says:

I live in Burlingame now, but also saw silverfish at a few other places. What attracts them to the place and how do I get rid of them? Just moved into new place and finding them everywhere. Do they live off dust? Seems to be common…

Silverfish do not feed on dust unless there is organic matter in the dust. Once Silverfish are established, they are difficult to eradicate. We do not provide extermination advice.

2. Nicky. Mcdermid says:

Hello. I am trying to ID a black 1/2″ long x 1/8″
    worm like thing that was stinging my leg for several seconds. Freaked my it I brushed it away +could not find it. 2 weeks ago it was a small pink dot now it’s very itchy and close Tia 1″ circle. I didn’t see any detail on this worm like shape. Thought maybe a silverfish. Do I need a doctor visit?

We are not qualified to dispense medical advice, but in our opinion, if one suspects there is a need for a visit to a doctor, one should most likely make an appointment.