Subject: Unknown flying bug
Location: Bristol, Florida
I live in Bristol, FL, in a residential area of town and It’s the middle of December here.These bugs have recently shown up around my homer and I was wondering if you could help identify them.
Signature: Reba

Unknown Black Wasp

Hi Reba,
This is some species of Wasp, and we suspect it is a parasitic Hymenopteran.  Perhaps it is numerous because there is also a population increase in its host.  We are contacting Eric Eaton to see if he can assist in this identification.

Thank you for your help.  Now that I have its name, I can do some research.
Love, Reba

Eric Eaton writes back
Happy holidays to you, too, Daniel!
Nice image, but pretty dark.  It is definitely something in the Crabronidae family, perhaps related to the Larrini tribe.  I’d have to put the thing under a microscope, and might still not know what it is.  Matthias Buck at the Alberta Royal Museum might recognize it, though.

Hi again Reba,
Eric Eaton provided us with a family of Crabronidae, and the two subfamilies that seem likeliest to us are Astatinae, which BugGuide states “members of this group provision there larvae exclusively with Heteroptera. Nymphs and adults of the following families have been recorded: Pentatomidae, Scutelleridae, Lygaeidae, Reduviidae, Cydnidae, Alydidae, and Rhopalidae”
or the Aphid Wasps in the subfamily Pemphredoninae, also represented on BugGuide.  Either possibility includes beneficial species that prey upon insects considered plant pests in the garden.

Location: Florida