Subject: Strange mushroom like growths in my lawn… bug nests?
Location: Plano, Texas
Can anyone help me identify this?? We have a couple of these in our front lawn. They’re about the size and shape of an average mushroom and they are about as fragile as mushrooms, but on the inside they are made of porous brown water resistant dirt. (I shot one with the hose and it burst into dust, but didn’t become mud!) I’m not sure if it’s a plant. I thought it might be a bug nest of some kind, but I’ve never seen any bugs come in or out of them. What is it??? What should I do with it??
Signature: ~ Dave

Mushroom

Hi Dave,
This is a Mushroom.  It may have been filled with spores.  If you have never seen these Mushrooms before and you had some recent landscaping, you might have introduced the spores in dirt or mulch.

Location: Texas

One Response to Mushroom from Texas

1. John Retherford says:

Greetings:
    I know it’s been years since your post but i had to respond. We have one in our flower bed in Denton, TX. At first I thought it was a kitty poo but when I bent down to photograph it I too discovered it was a plant. If you find it’s name, etc could you let me know? Please put mushroom or something like that in the subject line so’s I don’t just toss your response.
    Thank you for you photo and question.
    Sincerely,
    John