Subject: smooth and fluffy abdomen
Location: Situ Cileunca, Warnasari, Pangalengan, West Java, Indonesia
December 6, 2012 5:18 am
I took this photo on 11/27/2010.
This spider have a heart shaped abdomen with two equal circle pattern on each sides, and when you touch it it’s really smooth and fluffy feel like :).
I wonder what spider is it.
Signature: Mohamad Idham Iskandar

Orbweaver we believe

Hi Mohamad,
This also looks to us like an Orbweaver.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck with a species identification of your two spiders.  Since Orbweavers do not hunt, they do not have the keen eyesight that hunting spiders like Jumping Spiders have.  The eye pattern on this individual also resembles the eye pattern of Orbweavers.

Bird Dropping Mimic Spider

Thanks again Daniel, after reading some web materials especially from it’s eye arrangement I agree that this is an orb weaver although I didn’t see their orb when I took the photo’s.
I really Love your site.

Thanks for the compliment Mohamad.  You have some amazing looking “bugs” in Indonesia.

Identification courtesy of Karl
Hi Daniel and Mohamad:
I believe the genus of your orbweaver is Cyrtarachne, a group that is usually described as bird dropping mimics, or sometimes snail mimics. Looking at several checklists for spiders of Indonesia it appears that there is only one species of Cyrtarachne reported from java, that is, C. perspicillata. Unfortunately, I could find no online photos. Regards.  Karl

Wow, good job of sleuthing Karl.  Thanks much.

Mohamad writes back
December 10, 2012
Thank you so much for the ID Karl, after searching about Cyrtarachne in Indonesia I only came up with only one pic of it 🙂
Cyrtarachne-bufo_Kadugede
At last I found this interesting site on flickr that have some photo of Cyrtarachne
cyrtarachne_Interesting

Location: Indonesia

One Response to Bird Dropping Mimic Spider from Indonesia