Any idea what this is
Location:  Deerfield Beach, FL
December 1. 2-12
Taken in Deerfield Beach, fl Nov 2012.
FXS

Deformed Butterfly

Dear FXS,
This appears to be a Butterfly based on the clubbed antennae.  It also appears that there was some problem during metamorphosis that caused its wings to fail to expand and harden.  The hindwings also appear to be lacking in scales.  This is a most perplexing photo.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist in the identification. 

Location: Florida

3 Responses to Deformed Butterfly, we believe

1. Michael Davis says:

It looks to me lie it may still be in the process of emerging, though apparent lack of scales is quite curious.

2. Michael Davis says:

Actually now at I look at it again what appeared to be scaleless hind wings kinda looks more like part of the chrysalis where it broke open. At least that’s what it looks like to me. I’m no expert tho.

That is a very good analysis and interpretation of the this image. We were very puzzled by what appeared to be scaleless hind wings, but it does indeed look like it is most likely part of the shell or exuvia of the chrysalis.