Subject: Large green grasshopper-like bug
Location: Winchester, MA
My daughter & I found this bug a few weeks ago (late Oct.) in Winchester, MA. Actually, it found us–it flew down and landed on my leg! It was several inches long & seemed like some kind of grasshopper. From the side, it looked very much like a leaf. It was really amazing! Can you help us identify it? Thanks!
Signature: Jamie S.

Greater Angle-Winged Katydid

Hi Jamie,
This is a Katydid and they are related to Grasshoppers, but they can be distinguished by their much longer antennae.  We believe it is the Greater Angle-Winged Katydid,
Microcentrum rhombifolium.  According to BugGuide:  “Adults active in late summer and fall. September-November (Michigan).”

Greater Angle-Winged Katydid

Location: Massachusetts

2 Responses to Greater Angle-Winged Katydid

1. Mary Combs says:

I was just weeding my garden in Dayton, Ohio, and I got stung or pricked. At first I thought it was a sticker plant, but it bit me again and upon closer investigation, it was a Katydid that looked just like this. Are they poisonous? Should I be concerned?