Iguazu National Park Butterfly
Location:  Iguazu, Argentina
November 8, 2012
Daniel, it’s a bug bonanza in Argentina! I found this beauty on a handrail overlooking Iguazu Falls.  There are nearly 300 species here including moths. The butterflies like to sit on the handrails to eat the salt residue left when human hands hold onto them. Would you please identify this one for me?
Allison Jones

88 Butterfly

Dear Allison,
Because of the pattern of the black outline around the four spots on the underwings, this butterfly, Callicore hydaspes, is commonly called an 88.  Do you see the number?  Here is a photo from TrekNature where it states the distribution is “south from Mexico to Argentina.”  

Location: Argentina

2 Responses to 88 Butterfly from Argentina

1. Cesar Crash says:

Here in Brazil, we use to call Diaethria clymena as 88 butterflies.

Thanks for your comment Cesar. Butterflies from both genera, Diaethria as well as Callicore, are known as 88 or sometimes 89 butterflies. Each species has slightly different markings and some are more pronounced than others. We do have a photo of a butterfly in the genus Diaethria in our archives.