Subject: wasp carrying spider
Location: San Diego
I photographed this wasp that was carrying off an unfortunate spider, in my back yard. Managed to get a few decent macro pics before they disappeared. Unfortunately I couldn’t locate a nest.
Signature: Doug

Spider Wasp with Prey

Dear Doug,
This is a wonderful image of a Spider Wasp in the family Pompilidae with its prey.  Female Spider Wasps sting and paralyze spiders.  They then drag or fly with the spiders to a usually underground nest and then lay an egg on the spider.  The spider is still alive, but helpless, and the developing wasp larva eats it alive.  We believe we have identified your Spider Wasp as
Dipogon calipterus thanks to this image on BugGuide.

Hi Daniel
Many thanks. I’ll have to inspect the ground carefully to try to find a nest and try to capture the next stages of the unfortunate spider’s sllow demise.
Doug

Please let us know if you do Doug.  What’s That Bug? would love to post additional stages in the life cycles of this Food Chain contribution.