Subject: Small dark brown smelly beetle
Location: SE Tn
Okay, so about four weeks ago (the beginning of Oct) about hundreds of these beetles showed up at my house. They smell when disturbed and are almost black with lighter brown spots. I’ve lived in SE Tn for 10 years and have never had this happen before. What bug is this???
Signature: Jenna

Lablab Bug

Dear Jenna,
This is a Lablab Bug or Bean Plataspid,
Megacopta cribraria, an invasive, exotic species of Stink Bug recently accidentally introduced from Asia.  The good news it that it feeds on the invasive kudzu plant, and the bad news is that it will also feed on soybeans and other crop plants in the legume family.  According to BugGuide, it is “adventive in Australia and the US (NC-GA-AL, probably or shortly in TN & VA.”  BugGuide doesn’t yet report its incidence in Tennessee and your letter is our first indication that the species has spread.

Location: Tennessee

2 Responses to Lablab Bug found in Tennessee

1. Jacob says:

We have these all over the house in signal mountain, tn

2. Kasey says:

Chattanooga tn is invaded! Lots of kudzu tho. One landed in my eye lash and when I went to swat it it sprayed me in the eyes but also bit my eyelid I’ve searched everywhere to figure out this bug. They definitely bite when pissed.