Subject: Super cricket?
Location: Russian River, Northern California
November 5, 2012 2:52 am
Curious as to what type of insect this is;
Body is 1.5 inches, with legs outstretched 4-5 inches. Like a cricket, but lives in a subterranean water well, many of them. Seem to be nocturnal.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Signature: John

Camel Cricket

Hi John,
This is a Camel Cricket or Cave Cricket in the family Rhaphidophoridae.  As your letter supports, they are fond of damp and dark places like basements, caves, and apparently, wells.

Great! Now that we know they don’t bite the kids can saddle up and ride them around the yard! Just kidding…
Thanks very much,
John

5 Responses to Camel Cricket

1. Doug Piper says:

I am in New Jersey. I have seen this type of creature around my house and an apartment I lived in. Is this “creature” common in New Jersey as well?? I call them Morph – Spiders.
    Thank you for any info. you can provide.
    Sincerely,
    Doug, in New Jersey

2. anthony w says:

these satan-esk motherfuckers have been in my bed room 3 times this week, they seem aggressive . how do call upon god to rid theses unholy beasts of the promise land that is my room