Subject: Moths of Sri Lanka
Location: Sri Lanka
November 2, 2012 7:29 am
I have over 60 species of Moth to ID from Sri Lanka. Found you guys and thought i would test you out! I have attached 3 fairly distinctive looking Moths to start with. Really hope you can help ID these. If not maybe suggest someone who can? So i can contact them.
Any help will be gratefully received, thanks.
Signature: Gary T

Unknown Moth

Hi Gary,
Though we rather quickly idenrified your Urania Moth and Red Striped Tiger Moth from Sri Lanka, this third species is eluding us, so we decided to just post it as unidentified.

Thank you very much for your help on these.
Is it possible there maybe somewhere, i can post all my pix, for someone to ID?
Gary Thoburn

Hi Gary,
We can try our best, but please only one species per submission.  Please use our standard form and please provide any relevant information on the sighting.  You can also try posting your photos to FlickR.

Thanks again. I have uploaded them all to FlickR, maybe you can take a look??? Even if NOT, thank you for your help, hopefully this will help me ID them all?
ATB
Gary Thoburn

Update:  Karl provides an identification
November 7, 2012
Hi Daniel and Gary:
I believe your unidentified moth is a Tussock Moth (Lymantridae), probably in the genus Lymantria. The genus has quite a few representatives in Sri Lanka but I was unable to find any photos or descriptions to permit a definitive identification. The closest match I could find was Lymantria singapura. I found several photos that looked close enough to convince me that this is possibly the correct species, even though all online information suggests that this is a Southeast Asian species. I could find no record of it occurring in Sri Lanka but insects move around quite easily these days. A good example would be the related European Gypsy Moth (Lymantria dispar) that was originally a Eurasian species that has become widely distributed in North America. Although I can’t provide a positive identification, I suggest it is probably L. singapura or possibly some other native Sri Lankan species in the same genus. Regards.  Karl

Thanks Karl,
It appears you nailed it.

Location: Sri Lanka