Subject: Green Beetle
Location: São José do Rio Preto, São Paulo, Brasil
Hi, I’m writing from Brazil, Southeast region, and, in a common crowded downtown, this guy (or girl), landed softly on my arm. I was curious how it was so docile, so I bring it to my garden. I didn’t see any behaviour in the garden, he/she just stared at me, like a docile pet, and let me pick it up at any time. It was huge for a city bug, like about 8 cm length by 4 cm width. Too bad I miss it, maybe he flew away, or my labrador ate it ;/
I found no information, but then I found the only picture, but again with no information. Cute, strong and green. That’s all I have 🙁
By time, I call it Manfred.
Signature: Felipe Medeiros

Giant Metallic Ceiba Borer

Hi Felipe,
This impressive insect is a Giant Metallic Ceiba Borer,
Euchroma gigantea, one of the Metallic Borer Beetles or Jewel Beetles in the family Buprestidae.  We have at least six previous postings on our site from Central and South America, including this informative posting of a Giant Metallic Ceiba Borer from Panama.

Location: Brazil