Subject: what kinda spider is this
Location: Boise Idaho
November 1, 2012 12:00 am
Found this spider in Western Idaho in October. It’s body is about .75”n inches and the legs bring to about 3.5”. can you identify what type of spider this could be. Thanks so much.
Signature: Sherin

Fishing Spider

Hi Sherin,
This looks like a Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes, but the only species BugGuide lists in Idaho is Dolomedes triton, the Six Spotted Fishing Spider, and your individual is not that species.  So while we are confident with the genus, we cannot provide a species identification.  This might be a significant sighting.

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly. This was spotted at our sisters house who just moved from Spokane Washington. So is it a spider that could have come with them in their stuff? Thanks again for your help.
-Sherin

There are many more eastern species.  We still think this is a significant sighting and we doubt it is from Spokane.

Location: Idaho

One Response to Fishing Spider from Idaho

1. Kailey says:

I saw what I think is the exact same spider in Cascade, Idaho! And I’ve been trying to figure out what type of spider it is, all I could find was the 6 spotted one as well!