Subject: Are leaf-footed bugs invasive?
Location: Dover, NH
Hi, It is autumn in New England, so that means the office at my work is buzzing with leaf-footed bugs. Are they native or are they invasive?
Love your site!
Linda
Signature: Linda

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Dear Linda,
Many Leaf Footed Bugs are native to your part of the country, however this species, the Western Conifer Seed Bug,
Leptoglossus occidentalis, is not one of them.  The Western Conifer Seed Bug is native to the Pacific Northwest, and sometime in the 1960s, it began to expand its range across the continent.  It is unclear if this was a natural range expansion or if the Western Conifer Seed Bug was transported by people, though we suspect the latter to be the case.

Location: New Hampshire

5 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug

1. Lynetteski53 says:

Have identified several of these in my neighborhood of Jackson, NH.

2. I caught one of these Western Conifer Seed Bugs on my Jade Plant. Creemore, Ontario, Canada (close to Georgian Bay). Strange thing to find in my house in the middle of winter.
    Your site is a great source for insect identification.

3. margaret hardy says:

I can back these people from New England with regards to this bug. I have a jar that I capture these bugs in and they are definitely this bug! I can submit a pic of five of them. They are gross, and if you step on them they smell bad!!!

4. Keith says:

I have lived in NE my entire life (over 40) and I have not come across these until this year and I have found about 20 of them so far in and around our house this fall. Do these bugs cause any damage (e.g., like the powder post beetle etc.)? Thank you!