Subject: Big Fat Spiky Caterpillar
Location: Charleston Int’l Airport
October 26, 2012 10:00 am
Found this caterpillar outside my office on the sidewalk. Picked it up because someone was going to step on it. Mistake! My index finger is killing me now. My wife tells me this was stupid and ”everyone” knows not to touch these. ’Cept me apparently. Not looking for medical advice, just curious if it’s a toxic or if a spike is in my finger. Would like to address it. Sincerely, Major Wuss
Signature: Major Wuss
Dear Major Wuss,
The sting of the Io Moth Caterpillar is rumored to be quite painful. WikiHow has 8 steps to treating Caterpillar Stings, and the Io Caterpillar is reported to have poisonous spines. If it is any consolation, we are tagging your posting with the Bug Humanitarian award for your good intentions.