Subject: Please help! Fast!
Location: Southern New Meixco
October 25, 2012 3:27 am
Hello! I am curious to know what this spider is because it is in my Jeep and it crawled on me the other day. I am hoping its not piosionous because I have two small children who ride in my vehicle as well and I. Please help me in identifying it and what I need to get rid or it
Signature: Galen G

possibly Male Black Widow

Hi Galen,
Your photo is quite blurry and lacking in detail, so a definitive identification might be impossible.  With that said, this appears to be a male Black Widow.  The good news is that while females are considered the most venomous and dangerous spiders in North America, according to BugGuide:  “Adult males are harmless. The male’s abdomen usually has red spots along the upper midline and white lines or bars radiating out to the sides. (The number of bars can indicate which species.) Males almost exclusively wander in search of females.”

Thank you. Yes I know it’s not the best picture but I snapped the picture and realized I should have just killed the darn thing cause it crawled fast away after the flash turned on. But again thank you! I will rip apart my jeep until this guy is found.
-Galen

Location: New Mexico