Subject: Pumpkin Spider?
Location: Central New Jersey
This beautiful spider crawled into my garage today. It looked like it was carrying a tiny pumpkin on its back. What is it and is it venomous?
Signature: Joe

Pumpkin Spider

Hi Joe,
You nailed it.  This Marbled Orbweaver,
Araneus marmoreus, is frequently called a Pumpkin Spider, a name we encountered on BugGuide.  The name Pumpkin Spider originates from the bright orange coloration of many individuals in this highly variable species as well as their noticeable presence during the pumpkin harvest season.

Location: New Jersey

34 Responses to Marbled Orbweaver, AKA Pumpkin Spider

1. Donna Swain says:

I live about 1 1/2 hours north of Atlanta in a small town called Commerce. Saw my first pumpkin spider here this afternoon . Large legs marked black but not all over carrying his pumpkin. Never seen a spider like this before.

2. John says:

I saw my first dozen or so of these this year, after living in Carroll County, MD for five years. They were all on the north side of my home, out of direct sunlight.

3. Tim says:

Just came across on of these here in norther Indiana had never seen one till today, very cool looking!!

4. Mike says:

Found one yesterday, here in Victoria, BC, Canada

5. craig says:

My wife and I saw our first one today in our garage. Remarkably beautiful creature.

6. Crystal says:

My roommate found one at the end of our driveway this afternoon in Pine City, Mn!

7. Brad says:

I found one of these on our dish rack in the kitchen and thought WOW! I love bugs and thanks to your website I have been able to identify it. Amazing color!

8. Dee says:

I just found one in Ottertail, MN (north central MN)

9. NJ says:

Just found one in Indiana, PA.

10. Sandi says:

I just found one in Sterling Heights, MI

11. jeramy says:

Madison county
    Ohio found pumpkin spider

12. Jonathan says:

Spotted one in Joelton TN today. Very bright and large. 

Marbled ORBWEAVER
    10/24/15

13. Ray says:

Saw one today in gates mills Ohio. Amazing.

14. Nancy says:

Saw a pumpkin spider on 10/26/2015 in Easton, PA.

15. julie duncan says:

Ugly and disgusting creature!!

16. Betty Goldstein says:

Found one off the Silver Comit Trail, Powder Springs, GA north of Atlanta.

17. Brian Fulton says:

I found my first one today while racking leaves and burning them , my fiance had just walked out as I noticed what looked like a glowing amber and bent down to see if that was what it was and was startled when spider legs emerged from it ! It reminded me of how fire Flys light up except bright orange ! At 53 it’s amazing what nature has that I just now experienced, pretty wild

18. Saw one today for the first time in my life. Near Gettysburg, PA. Wasn’t sure what it was so had to look it up immediately.

19. Adam says:

I seen one out in my carport yesterday. I thought it might have been fake at first. It was dying where it is getting cold but its a bright orange Pumpkin Spider in Rogersville, TN east of the Smoky Mountains.

20. Karen says:

Just now saw one of these mesmerizing spiders. It’s uncommonly warm in the south Atlanta, GA, area for December, and we have had an abundance of rain over the past week. I’ve never seen this kind of spider before. Beautiful and creepy all at the same time!

21. Edwina Gazaille says:

We have this pumpkin spider every fall! We live in Statesville NC. The first time we ever saw one, we were putting our Halloween decorations away. The pumpkin spider was literally in the eye socket of a skull we had outside!! Crazy! I love the black and white striped legs!

22. jim SAUER says:

Saw our first one today in Letchworth State Park

23. Teresa Wood says:

Just “picked up” my very first so called pumpkin spider. It was on my kitchen floor and was mistaken for a piece of caramel corn I thought the kids had dropped. Good thing my husband didn’t see it first! We live in Spencer, In. It was an experience I won’t soon forget.

24. Lara Burau says:

Found one on our deck this morning! NW Illinois 10/5/2017

25. Betty Goldstein says:

Great, I haven’t seen one since two years ago.

26. Mia says:

I saw one year back my niece almost run into it and i have never seen one before so we knot it off the tree and killed it because i didn’t know if it was venomous or not. it was back around 2005 maybe in October or November. I real don’t like spiders the only spider i will mess with is a granddaddy spider.

27. Betty Goldstein says:

I did not like the post that a guy killed such a beautiful, harmless, rare spider.

28. Dave N says:

Just saw my first one, out in my front yard in Asheville, NC. What a magnificent creature! Took her off the footpath so she wouldn’t get stepped on accidentally.

29. Karen O. 5th gr. Teacher says:

Our elementary school janitor swept one up on Friday, 11/1/2019. First one either of us ever saw. Right after Halloween. How fitting marbled orb weaver or pumpkin spider. West Brookfield, Massachusetts.