Subject: Unknown Mantis, Lesbos, Greece
Location: 39.197873,26.179991
Dear bugman,
I’m unable to tell what species this
is. I tried the determination key from
earthlife.net but i’m unable to work it
out. Can you help me?.
It was fotographed early in october of this year near Skala Kaloni, Lesbos, Greece, sitting near the beach.
Signature: B. Schoenmakers

Mantis

Dear B. Schoenmakers,
In ancient Greece, the Preying Mantids were called prophets and the English name is derived from the Greek.  One cannot help but to wonder if this Lesbian Mantis is one of the populations of Mantids that do not need men for survival.  Brunner’s Mantisfrom Texas is known only from female specimens and they reproduce parthenogenically, without mating.  All the progeny are genetically identical to the female that spawned the brood.  We believe the Mantis in your photo is a female, and we haven’t a clue to the species and we haven’t the energy at this time to try to research it. 

Lesbian Mantis

We do think your photos are gorgeous and we hope that some expert or Mantis aficionado can comment with an identification.  Sometimes the markings on the inside of the raptorial front legs are helpful in identification of different Mantis species, including the South African Mantis that was introduced into New Zealand.  It poses a threat to native New Zealand Mantids. 

Lesbian Mantis

Update
Subject: Unknown mantis, Lesbos, Greece 2
Location: 39.197873,26.179991
October 20, 2012 8:07 am
Thanks for the reply, great story, (thankfully the women of our species on the island still seem to prefer men for reproduction, they might bite your head of in the process though 😉
This is another photo of the same mantis
showing more of the inside of the raptorial front legs. I don’t remember any clear markings there.
Signature: B. Schoenmakers

Mantis

Thanks for the update B.

Location: Lesbos

2 Responses to Lesbian Mantis

1. Dracus says:

This is a female of some Rivetina species (unfortunately, very difficult genus to say the exact species most of the times). These mantises have an interesting biology characteristic: females do not lay oothecs on stones or plants, but bury them instead in the ground to protect them from drying out. They even evolved a pair of hooks at the end of abdomen for this purpose, that can be seen on the second picture.