Subject: Red Woodlouse Hunters, unfortunate carnage
Location: Maumee, Ohio
October 15, 2012 3:13 am
I was rearing one red woodlouse hunter, a side project from the usual friendly caterpillars, when I found a larger one roaming around in the dark hours of the night. I decided to attempt to rear them together… an obvious rookie mistake as the two mighty spiders began to square off for what looks like a fight to the death… I wish I would’ve done my research before introducing these two impressive spiders, a hard lesson learned.
Signature: Jake

Battle of the Woodlouse Hunters

Hi Jake,
Especially among predators, competition within a species for survival is often greater that inter-species competition.  Your letter did not indicate if the smaller captive was the victim.  Woodlouse Hunters or Sowbug Killers are actually quite amazing spiders.  They are an introduced species native to Europe.  For the record, we only tag postings as Unnecessary Carnage when a person kills a beneficial or harmless species out of fear, ignorance, cruelty or disgust.

Location: Ohio

4 Responses to Battle of the Woodlouse Hunters

1. Jake says:

As of this morning both are still alive but have separated now! Woodlouse hunters are possibly immune to the venom of other woodlouse hunters? I have seen other woodlouse spiders in the past kill adult wolf spiders with single bites in less than 20 seconds.

2. Julie says:

Does finding two in my house an indication of wood eating pests?

Woodlice do not eat wood, so finding Woodlouse Hunters is no indication of the state of the wood in your home.