Subject: Freaky eggs!
Location: Champaign, Illinois
October 11, 2012 11:01 am
Good morning, Bugman! I took some photos this morning of some eggs I found on a tarp hanging from the side of our house (the joy of renovations!). We live in the Midwest, not near any bodies of water, and fall weather has been setting in lately. Any ideas on what hatched on the side of my house? (My thumbnail included for scale.)
Signature: Laura

Unknown Eggs

Dear Laura,
We are practically hypnotized by the subtle pattern of light, shadow, color and texture in this lovely photograph.  Eggs can be very difficult to identify with certainty, especially eggs that were not laid on a food source.  Our first guess might be some Hemipteran, like a Stink Bug, and our second choice is some type of Moth Egg, like a Tiger Moth.  Either way, we don’t believe the hatchlings will infest your home.

Thank you so much for your time and sweet compliments on my photos!  *^_^*
Knowing my luck, it was probably a Stink Bug, hehe.  But our cats do enjoy alerting us to the wide variety of surprisingly diverse moth population, so I would not rule those out.  I’m very glad to hear that the likely bugs are the brave outdoorsy types, not the codependent infesting sorts!  ^_^
Thanks again!
~L

Location: Illinois