Subject: Whats That Bug
Location: Michigan
I work as the director at a child care facility. My staff was outside with the children and found a large bug that was missing his head. We would like to know what it is.
Signature: Jessica Fuller, Director, Learn and Play, LLC

Decapitated Preying Mantis

Hi Jessica,
We would love to know what decapitated this adult Preying Mantis.  It doesn’t seem to be a typical predator as it has left behnid the most edible and nutritious part of the mantis, the abdomen.  It would be much more typical for a predator to leave the hard head behind and eat the softer and fattier body.

We are not sure. We found the bug out on the playground and it was already decapitated. Thank you for getting back to us to quickly. The kids will be interested to know what the bug was!
Betty Dennany
Director, Learn and Play,LLC

Location: Michigan

2 Responses to What Decapitated the Preying Mantis???

1. Savion H. says:

I know this is a really old post, however I believe you all have overlooked a commonly known fact about preying mantises. That being that the female has a tendency to eat the male’s head after mating. Therefore, this mantis’ head was most likely devoured by his female counterpart. Hope this helps!

Thanks for reminding us of the mating habits of the Preying Mantis, however, we believe that after biting off her mate’s head, the female will also make a meal of her paramour. There would be nothing to prevent the female from making a meal of her paramour who provided the ultimate sacrifice for his progeny.