Subject: Attack on the Father-In-Law
Location: Adel, Iowa
Greetings, Bugman!
Jeanie Cunningham has sent me your way after she saw a picture I took of an unidentified critter that landed on my father-in-law’s face. It was July in the middle of Iowa, and the man-eater was really more interested in other non-carnivorous meals. Any ideas? Many thanks for trying!!
Signature: David the Ukester

Immature Greater Angle-Wing Katydid

Dear David the Ukester,
We really miss Jeanie since she move away from our Mount Washington neighborhood to Palm Springs.  Your insect is an immature Katydid, most likely a Greater Angle-Wing Katydid,
Microcentrum rhombifolium.  You may compare your individual to this photograph from Bugguide.  Katydids are among the music makers of the insect class.

By jove, I think you’ve got it!!  Thank you so much!  I have always heard of katydids, but never knew what one looked like.  Now I do!  Thanks again, and I’ll let Jeanie know that her suggestion worked.
David

Location: Iowa