Subject: Red and black bug
Location: Coote Island, Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hello!
Thanks for running this great website – I use it a lot to help identify bugs I’ve found!
I’ve attached pictures of one that currently has me stumped. I found it in July on an island in Georgian Bay (near Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada). It’s colours were very striking red and black. I can’t find it in my Kaufman field guide or online so far. If you could help, that would be great!
Signature: Kristin

Plant Bug

Hi Kristin,
We believe we have identified this striking insect as a Plant Bug in the family Miridae and the tribe Resthenini based on this photo on BugGuide.  Alas, we are not able to provide a species identification but it does appear to us to be a predatory species.

Plant Bug

Wow! Thank you for your quick response! The pictures match up very well. Thanks again!
Kristin

Location: Canada

One Response to Unknown Plant Bug from Canada

1. Judy says:

I have these exact bugs all over my avocado trees here in Los Angeles. I’ve been trying to figure out if they are hurting my trees or if they are beneficial. They bite so predatory seems accurate.