Subject: Beautiful bug!
Location: Marau, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
Hi, I live in the south of Brazil and as you can imagine, it’s a country full of magnificent species that one may not see in a whole life time!
I found this bug (well, my cat found it) and I wanted to know its name! I’m very curious!
Signature: Mariana

Longhorned Borer Beetle: Unxia species

Hi Mariana,
It didn’t take us long to identify your Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae as
Compsocerus violaceus thanks to a photo posted on the FlickR Museum of Life webpage.  We verified that ID on TrekNature as well as on the Worldwide Cerambycidae Photo Gallery.

Correction:  December 14, 2016
Thanks to a correction from Cerambycid expert Doug Yanega, we now know that this is a member of the genus
Unxia, which is pictured on Cerabycidae Catalog Search.

Location: Brazil

6 Responses to Longhorned Borer from Brazil: Unxia species

1. Pedro Alvaro says:

Hi! I was comparing Mariana’s photo with the photo of the Worldwide Cerambycidae Photo Gallery, and it seems that these beetles are pretty different, the beetle of the Worldwide Cerambycidae Photo Gallery has the “hair” in the 6th segment of the antennae, and the beetle of Mariana’s photo has these hair in the 5th segment of the antennae, the Mariana’s beetle has “drop like” legs, not a constant shape like the Worldwide Cerambycidae Photo Gallery’s beetle. Can it be a dimorfism between male/female? Or another species?

2. Doug Yanega says:

I’m a cerambycid expert. This one is not a Compsocerus; most likely in the genus Unxia.