Subject: Small Parasitic Wasp
Location: Rose Hill, CA
I just found this little miss as I was cleaning up my kitchen. I only know she is a wasp but I have no idea what kind. She is approximately 1/2” long excluding her antennae.
Signature: joAnn

Ichneumon

Hi joAnn,
Your photos are of excellent quality, however, we do not believe we have the necessary skills to provide you with a species identification.  We agree that this is a parasitic wasp, most likely an Ichneumon.  According to BugGuide, the family contains:  “About 5,000 described species in North America, possibly 3,000 more undescribed(2); arguably, the largest animal family, with the estimated 60,000 species worldwide (up to 100,000, according to some estimates(3).)”

Ichneumon

Good morning Daniel,
Thank you for that identification!
In looking at the images on BugGuide as well as others on the internet I agree on Ichneumon. Ironically as a kid that was one of my favorite insects to name out of one of my insect books yet I never realized that they came in such a diminutive size. I have a whole new found fascination for last nights house guest.
Best,
joAnn

4 Responses to Ichneumon, we believe

1. I photographed a very similar wasp here last week, friday, I think. The abdomen was red, not orange.

2. Is there a hint to differentiate small ichneumons from brachonids? I just observed that ichneumons use to have the abdomen longer than the wings, while brachonids have the wings longer than the abdomen, but no references say that.