Subject: black wierd shaped beetle spider?
Location: puerto rico
I felt this guy on my back. He spins spider webs. as i saw his web on a branch
Signature: ray

Crablike Spiny Orbweaver

Dear Ray,
This is a Spiny Orbweaver in the genus
Gasteracantha, most likely Gasteracantha cancriformis, the Crablike Spiny Orbweaver, a highly variable species that can be yellow, white, or red with black markings.  According to BugGuide:  “This species can be easily distinguished from all other spiders. Females may be 5 to nearly 9 mm in length, but 10 to 13 mm wide. They have six pointed abdominal projections frequently referred to as “spines.” The carapace, legs, and venter are black, with some white spots on the underside of the abdomen. The dorsum of the abdomen is, typically for Florida specimens, white with black spots and red spines. Specimens from other areas may have the abdominal dorsum yellow instead of white, may have black spines instead of red, or may be almost entirely black dorsally and ventrally.”  This is a harmless spider.

Location: Puerto Rico