Subject: Bee Fly?
Location: Plantation FL
Photographed this bug in my south Florida back yard. It was really attracted to my basil plant. Is it a bee or a Fly?
Signature: Laura

Green Orchid Bee

Hi Laura,
We first reported on Green Orchid Bees,
Euglossa dilemma, in Florida in 2004, and that posting created quite a stir.  We have since learned that this Central American species has become well established in southern Florida.

Location: Florida

6 Responses to Green Orchid Bee

1. Josh says:

I just encountered these in my garden in beavercreek Ohio!

2. Sherica says:

I live in Montego Bay Jamaica and that bee is present here, we see it occasionally. In Jamaica we call them Money Bee as it is believed that when that bee appears around you it’s a sign of good luck and that you will receive some unexpected money which I have proven to be true for me. It is the reason why it is my favorite insect. Love that bee.

3. Darrin Smith says:

Location: Plantation, FL
    October 26, 2017

My son found two of this in his bedroom. I believe I brought them into the house 6 weeks ago just before Hurricane Irma arrived. I had taken down a small bird house my son made as part of a scout merit badge. I had placed it in a shelf in his room.