Subject: Found these guys nesting in our window…
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Hello! I am writing because I am really hoping you can help me figure out what on Earth these guys are. Last week I was measuring for a fire ladder and accidentally dropped the screen out of the window. I was showered with insect parts and nesting material. On top of the screen there was a straight line of these guys, and I am at a loss as to what they are. Each cocoon was about an inch long. Hoping you can shed some light on the situation!
Signature: Thank you so much, Ashli Welsh

Grass Carrying Wasp Nest

Hi Ashli,
You have discovered the nest of a Grass Carrying Wasp in the genus
Isodontia.  According to BugGuide:  “Females make nests in a tree, hollow stem or other cavity, divide into sections and close with grass. They provision with Orthoptera (Tettigoniidae, Gryllidae)” and “These wasps commonly make their nest in the narrow track found above outer windows.”  The wings in your photos appear to be those of Tree Crickets which have been eaten by the wasp larva.

Grass Carrying Wasp Nest

Location: North Carolina