Subject: Can you ID this bug?
Location: Southwest Mississippi
Found this little critter on the bedskirt one night as I was pulling back the covers. Doesn’t look like any bed bug I’ve seen, but then again… I live in an historic little town (Magnolia) in Southwest Mississippi. City limits, but I have a rather large (drainage) ditch running through my property. Four dogs (2outside,2inside) and a male cat who comes and goes inside and out. (Cat is a hunter) All the pine trees have been removed from property. Have several large oaks, large white magnolia tree, two japanese magnolias, and about 8 old camelias to the back of my lot. Good grass on lawn, mulched beds around house with lots of azaleas. Sometimes moisture is an issue in my old house, having a 1/2 basement. Home is brick, but have lots of wood, too. Built in early ’30s with a huge attic.
Signature: Marla

Weevil

Weevil

Thank you so much!  I searched the internet for days trying to ID this little critter, and here you name him in a flash!!  But OMG, never would have guessed a weevil!  I always think of the teenie tiny critters in the cream of wheat box when someone says weevil.  This fella is much much larger!  Bollweevil, do you think?  I’m in Mississippi, but I don’t live on a cotton plantation.  This little guy is the only one I have seen (ever) in my house, or around my house (anywhere) for that matter …and to find him in the bedroom…. ????  As the songs go…. he’s just lookin’ for a home, eyh!  Thanks again.  I greatly appreciate your help.
Have a great day!

Hi Marla,
You have so much enthusiasm.  It is refreshing.  We apologize for the terse response but we wanted to answer a few more requests prior to rushing off to work this morning.  Now that we are home, we will post your submission and attempt to identify the Weevil more specifically.  It is not a Boll Weevil, as you can see by checking out the photos on BugGuide.  As we suspected, this is an Acorn or Nut Weevil in the genus
Curculio, but as you can see from the species listed on BugGuide, an exact identification might be difficult.

Location: Mississippi

2 Responses to Weevil

1. Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old
    daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to
    tell someone!