Subject: Bugs in Pillow!
Location: Sierra Nevada Foothills, CA
I’ve found a few of these hiding under my pillows over the past week. I’m hoping it’s not a tick or bed bug, but concerned it might be?
Signature: Bugged in CA

Blood Sucking Conenose perhaps

Dear Bugged in CA,
Though this creature reminds us of a Bed Bug, that doesn’t seem correct.  We are going to get Eric Eaton’s opinion.  We have a bad feeling about this one.  It looks like a blood sucker to us.  Perhaps it is an immature Blood Sucking Conenose based on this photo from BugGuide.  If that is true, you might have cause for alarm since they can be vectors for Chagas Disease.  See BugGuide.

Immature Blood Sucking Conenose

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I looked at the links you sent, and the nymph pictures do look very similar. Since sending the request to you I had found another one in the bed, and when squishing with a tissue to kill it definitely contained blood. And now that I’m thinking about it, I remember finding a good sized black bug in my slipper a few months ago that I now think was likely an adult one… oh my! 🙁

Eric Eaton Confirms Identification
Oh, dear.  Yes, I would agree it is an immature Triatoma sp.  Unusual time of year to find them.  Very unusual to find anything but an adult bug in a human dwelling.  The nymphs are usually associated with wood rats.

One Response to Immature Blood Sucking Conenose

1. Ricky Az says:

I just found one of these today as well! :/ Phoenix Az