Subject: These bugs chase me around my yard!!!
Location: Gainesville FL
September 17, 2012 9:20 am
HELP ME!!! I swear these bug get a kick out of chasing me around my yard!! People have told me they are stinkbugs but they are longer than all the pics Ive seen of stinkbugs. These are about 2 inches long and black/brown colored. Can you please tell me what they are and how I might get rid of them?!?!?!?!
Signature: Shonna

Leaf Footed Bug

Hi Shonna,
We got a bit of a kick out of your letter.  We do not believe these Leaf Footed Bugs are purposely chasing you about your yard.  Due to the angle of view and the low resolution of your photo, we are not certain of an exact identification, but we believe this might be
Acanthocephala femorata which you can read about on BugGuide.

Thank you so much.  hahahaha ok I am sure they dont do it on purpose but it sure seems that way sometimes!!!!  I will try and get a better picture next time I see one.  I dont like to get too close cause, as you guys have had a nice laugh over, they will fly after me and chase me in circles till I run in the house!!!
Shonna

Location: Florida

One Response to Leaf Footed Bug

1. UART says:

Shonna, I agree. Up here in Michigan this bug chased me as well when I was taking out the garbage. I believe it has something to do with the CO2 emitting from my body. My BFriend caught it and I have a picture of it. They DO chase you around and believed to be similar to the triatomine bug ( kissing bug ) which are very dangerous to humans on contact; they give you a virus worst than HIV I read. – Christy