Subject: Anyone know what are these bugs?
Location: Los angeles, CA USA
Help! these bugs are taking over our amazing garden, any idea as to what bug it is and how to safely get rid of them?
Thank you!!
Signature: Holly b

African Painted Bugs

Hi Holly,
You have African Painted Bugs,
Bagrada hilaris, a recently introduced species of Stink Bug that we have been predicting will become a major agricultural pest in California.  African Painted Bugs can decimate plants in the cabbage family in the home garden.  We do not provide extermination advice.  We successfully eliminated them in our own garden through diligence, removing old plants, and frequently hosing them off the plants with a strong jet of water.

Mating African Painted Bugs

One Response to African Painted Bugs

1. SLYK says:

I have these bugs last month on my kales. I was able to get rid of them in a week and I don’t see them anymore. Initially, they quite a lot, maybe 50 -70 of those. I got rid of them buy burning them with a torch liter easily as they don’t fly much even they can. They like to cling on netting that make it much easier to burn them. What I did was I built a netting cage with the window mosquito netting and use the cage to cover your plants. They will come and try to get in and stay on the net. Then you just burn them. It works.