Subject: Eggs on fencepost
Location: Edgewood, NM
September 15, 2012 7:20 am
Hello, what a wonderful site!!
I was walking our dogs around our property in Edgewood, NM and these little egg-like things caught my eye. They look like sesame seeds but I swear they’re not! (Yes, I’ve browsed your other readers’ letters…). Any ideas?
Signature: Laura and Paul

Unknown Eggs

Hi Laura and Paul,
While we do not want to discount that you or your neighbors might sit on the fence and eat sesame bagels, these are most definitely eggs and not seeds, but alas, it is often very difficult to identify eggs.  If eggs are laid on a food plant, it sometimes makes identifications easier, but we do not believe the fence post is a larval food chosen by the progenitor.  Your request has us stumped, though our first choice might be some species of Giant Silk Moth (These Promethea Moths laying eggs are not in your range, but other family members are.) as they often lay eggs in places other than food sources, though that generally happens when the short life span of the female is coming to an end if she has been attracted to a light source. 

Location: New Mexico