Subject: uhhhhhh?
Location: Errington, British Columbia, Canada
So this spring I went and heaved a garbage can full of seaweed up to my house to make for a happy gardener. I decided to let the seaweed rot in the container over the summer, adding water as it evaporated.
The other day my partner asked for his can back so off I went to deal with the muck. I lifted the lid and this is what I found. I love knowing what all the ”bugs” are around my yard,and really do with I just had an entomologist friend at hand to ask all questions to. Alas, I do not 🙁 Hopefully you can help.
Picture was taken today, September 14th 2012, in Errington, BC, Canada.
Signature: Curiously watching the sludge seethe!

Rattailed Maggots

Dear Curiously watching the sludge seethe,
You have Rattailed Maggots, the larval form of a large introduced Syrphid Fly known as the Drone Fly,
Eristalis tenax.  These Rattailed Maggots will help the seaweed break down as they feed on decaying organic matter and they are frequently found around barnyards and in areas with rotting manure.  You can also find helpful information on this NCSU online document.

Rattailed Maggots

Location: Canada